Due to the on-going coronavirus crisis, All-American Model UN has decided to suspend all in-person activities until 2021 to ensure the safety of all of our community members and mentors. We’ve transitioned to providing a suite of digital Model UN training, conferences, and academies. All students who registered for programs in 2020 will receive 100% full refunds.
Thank you for your confidence and support.
HARVARD HACIA SUMMIT OF THE AMERICAS: QUITO, ECUADOR
There’s only one way to know
Harvard HACIA Summit of the Americas
March 11-15/16, 2020
500+ Students from 10+ Countries
The Harvard Association Cultivating Inter-American Democracy’s Summit of the Americas — or HACIA — was first hosted in 1994 with the goal of spurring conversation about the role and spread of democracy in Latin America. Unlike other Model UN and Model Government conferences, HACIA changes its location each year to a different host city in Latin America.
HACIA features a diverse range of committee focusing on various Latin American organizations, such as the Organization of American States, MERCOSUR, the Pan-American Health Organization, and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights. With 16 committees, about half take place in Spanish and half in English. All-American delegates may compete in either language.
The All-American Model UN Team first attended the HACIA in 2016 and won Best Delegation in our first years in attendance. Our students win awards over 70% of the time at HACIA.
Hilton Colon Quito
Address: Amazonas, Avenida Patria 14, Quito 170143, Ecuador
Phone: +593 2-382-8300
Flights to Ecuador
Students are responsible for booking their own flights to Ecuador. The Director will provide instructions for when you should arrive and depart. If you have have questions or apprehension about flights, please email [email protected]
Flexible Departure Day
Student may elect to return to the United States on Sunday, March 15th or on Monday, March 16th. There is no extra cost associated with the additional day.
The All-American Model UN Director will be available 24/7 by calling 617-702-4888 while overseas. Before departure, please contact the Director by email or phone with any questions or concerns.
Arrival in Quito
Arrive in Cartagena from your local airport
Meet your All-American team mates
Train with the All-American MUN Director
Go out to dinner in the City Center
Tour Historic Quito:
– Guided tour of the Cartagena, its architecture and old city walls
– Visit Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas
– Get lunch at Plazo Santo Domingo
– Tour the Palace of the Inquisition
– Enjoy dinner by the Pier Los Pegasos
Compete against students from across Latin America
PAST PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
The All-American Model UN Program to the HACIA in Cartagena, Colombia is a no-hassle program that takes the worry away from planning and travel. Our spring program to Cartagena includes all of the following, plus more!
Remote Online Training
Breakfast and Dinner
24-Hour Supervision & Contact
Application and Qualifications
Students applying to the All-American Model UN team should have a consistent performance of excellence, not just in Model United Nations also academically. We will assess each candidate on an individual basis and not against one another. Students should use their application to illustrate their strengths and progress throughout high school.
- Students must have at least of two years of competitive Model United Nations experience and participated in at least two conferences.
- The best candidates will have placed (been awarded a Best Delegate, Outstanding Delegate, or Honorable Mention) in a high percentage of conferences attended.
- Experience hosting a conference or chairing a Model UN committee looked favorably upon, but not required.
- Exemplary understanding of parliamentary procedure including: moderated debate, motions and points, resolution writing, and voting procedure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to thoroughly research advanced matters of international affairs, both in the present and past.
- Leadership experience either in Model United Nations or comparable co-curricular activities
Qualifying Model UN Conferences
- Harvard Model UN (HMUN)
- Ivy League Model UN Conference (ILMUNC)
- Yale Model UN (YMUN)
- Model UN at the University of Chicago (MUNUC)
- North American Invitational Model UN (NAIMUN)
- UC Berkeley Model UN (BMUN)
- Stanford Model UN Conference (SMUNC)
- USC Model UN (TrojanMUN)
- Washington Area Model UN Conference (WAMUNC)
- Chicago Invitational Model UN (CIMUN)
- Boston Invitational Model UN (BosMUN)
- Johns Hopkins Model UN Conference (JHUMUNC)
- University of Michigan Model UN (MUNUM)
- Rutgers Model UN (RUMUN)
- Princeton Model UN Conference (PMUNC)
- Cornell Model UN Conference (CMUNC)
- Brown Simulation of the United Nations (BUSUN)
- William and Mary High School Model UN (WMHSMUN)
Early Application Deadline: September 1, 2018
Student Seats Available
Award Rate after All-American
Students Accepted into Ivy League or Similar Schools
“HACIA gave me a way to explore Latin America without feeling like a typical tourist. Not only did I win an award in my first crisis committee, Frank taught me to improve my speaking, leadership, and collaboration skills.”
“HACIA 2016 was my last Model UN conference and I couldn’t have wished for a better memory. I learned so much about Bolivar and Latin American history, and also won Best Delegate– my last high school gavel!”
“I’m so thankful that I found out about All-American Model UN. Even though HACIA was the only program that I could participate on before I graduated, I wish I could have done more. Frank really cares about all of his students and will do anything to help us get better. HACIA’s dual language conference was awesome. I met so many people from around Latin America and have many new friends now!”
PROGRAM COSTS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
|Airfare Expense||Varies on location|
|Payment Details & Options||
|Scholarships and Aid||